MTC’s Involvement in Operating ICE Detention CentersPDF
Based on recent news of immigrant families detained and separated at the border, MTC feels it’s necessary to provide information about the facilities we operate for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
MTC does not house any children or minors at these ICE facilities. At times, a married couple, adult child and parent, or adult siblings will be housed at one of our facilities. If they can prove they are related and there is no security risk, we do house fathers and sons and mothers and daughters together. Married couples cannot be housed together, but they are provided with opportunities to visit with each other. We do all that we can to foster family relationships.
While MTC operates three detention centers for ICE, MTC has no involvement in the Administration’s immigration policies. MTC is a private company that strives to provide the highest standard of care and services in all areas. The three MTC ICE detention centers include the Imperial Regional Detention Facility (Calexico, CA), Otero County Processing Center (Chaparral, NM), and IAH Detention Center (Livingston, TX).
All detainees in MTC facilities have access to the medical, legal, and personal resources that they need, in addition to voluntary recreation and programming activities.
- MTC medical provides quality, comprehensive, and responsive medical care to all detainees, meeting or exceeding current ICE standards
- Each detainee receives a preliminary medical screening on the first day of arrival, immediately followed by a more comprehensive physical exam
- Ongoing medical care for acute and chronic illness is available 24/7 at all MTC facilities
- MTC and community partners provide access to legal materials and services
- Upon arrival, detainees attend an orientation, which includes a Know Your Rights presentation
- Legal presentations are also provided on a regular basis by community organizations
- Each detainee has access to the law library at least 15 hours per week. They are assisted by a dedicated full-time librarian and have access to computers
- MTC provides opportunities for recreation, education, and counseling services
- All detainees have the opportunity to participate in classes and activities, ranging from ESL to yoga
- The Imperial Regional Detention Facility has a partnership with the Mexican consulate to offer classes for INEA (the Mexican equivalent of a GED)
- All MTC detention centers offer individual and group counseling to detainees who have experienced trauma, often in partnership with local crisis centers
To learn more about MTC’s approach in detention, see The MTC Difference in Immigration Detention and click on the links below.
For more information, please contact Issa Arnita at Issa.Arnita@mtctrains.com