Substance Abuse Counselor
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Division: Job Corps
Location: Sierra Nevada Job Corps Center (Reno, Nevada)
Job duties include:
- Assess students with identified substance problems; develop and implement a plan to modify or control the problems by working with students, counselors and instructors; provide TEAP orientation and TEAP education to students and instructors.
- Assist in developing procedures to coordinate and integrate TEAP components with other center programs, policies and zero tolerance.
- Conduct TEAP classes, group educational,peer support and other prevention sessions for students..
- Review and audit all assigned areas regularly for contractual compliance and effectiveness of delivery of services to students. Prepare related reports.
- Advise the center director and health and wellness manager of appropriate substance use/abuse related matters including cost of services, staffing and training requirements, initial assessment and counseling referrals to off center resources for ongoing care and counseling.
- Ensure the documentation of all student assessments and plans are in the student's medical records regarding substance use/abuse problems.
- Provide ongoing comprehensive training for all staff in the substance use/abuse area with specific goals toward education and awareness, skills in identification and reporting substance abuse problems, individual staff member counseling skills and general team building throughout the center.
- Work closely with center recreation staff members to develop recreation alternatives within the community.
- Certification as substance abuse counselor in state of Nevada and one year experience.
- Experience working with youth, excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer proficiency.
- Valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record.