Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Part-Time)
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Division: Job Corps
Location: Woodstock Job Corps Center (Woodstock, Maryland)
- Assist in developing procedures to coordinate and integrate drug and alcohol counseling components with other center programs, policies and zero tolerance.
- Work with new students for testing, assessment and development of assistance and retention plans during the 45 day probation period; provide an assessment and assistance/intervention plan for any student who tests positive for drugs or receives an alcohol incident.
- Conduct drug/alcohol classes, group educational, peer support and other prevention sessions for students.
- Assess students with identified substance use problems; develop and implement a plan to modify or control the problems by working with students, counselors, instructors and the mental health consultant.
- Provide input to the counseling, health and wellness and human resources departments for necessary referral of students with problems; utilize community resources as available.
- Work with mental health consultants, health and wellness staff and counselors to intervene with substance users who meet the treatment criteria to remain in Job Corps.
- Review and interpret drug test results.
- Ensure the documentation of all student assessments and that plans are in student’s medical records regarding problems.
- Provide ongoing comprehensive training for all staff members with specific goals toward staff education and awareness, staff skills in identification and reporting substance use problems, individual staff member counseling skills and general team building throughout the center.
- Coordinate tobacco use prevention program
Education and Experience Requirements:
Must have active, unrestricted substance abuse license or certification that meets the minimum state licensing or certification requirements to practice in the state of Maryland. Experience working with youth, excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer proficiency also required. Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record, unless waived by management.