Category: Accounting & Finance
Location: Gadsden Correctional Facility (Quincy, Florida)
Reports to the warden. Directly supervises the accounting clerks, warehouse supervisor and MIS technician. Responsible for performing accounting and audit functions within the general accounting function and summarizing data for periodic operating statements and management information in compliance with American Correctional Association (ACA) standards, Management & Training Corporation (MTC), Florida Department of Corrections (FDOC) and Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) directives.
- Supervise in the preparation of data input for developing financial statements and management information reports, including monthly accounting journal entries, overhead application schedules, bank reconciliations, general ledger account analyses and monthly financial statement.
- Prepare the departmental budget; monitor and control expenditures.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new and revised policies and procedures affecting accounting and property and supply.
- Prepare and maintain cost data and related analyses pertaining to facility operations.
- Audit the output of the accounts payable and cashier functions.
- Oversee cash disbursements journal, general ledger and cost ledger by recording accounting transactions, preparing reconciliations and financial tabulations as assigned.
- Ensure the balancing of books and compilation of statistical reports such as cash expenditures, departmental costs and other pertinent reports.
- Supervise incoming and prepare outgoing interdivisional billings, reconcile and clear interdivisional accounts and prepare associated journal entries.
- Assist in the preparation of month-end closing of financial books, facility and corporate financial reports. Review reports for accuracy and resolve problems.
- Coordinate with other facility staff concerning accounting matters.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed. Provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration and three (3) years of finance, accounting or related experience in a supervisory capacity are required. Directly related experience may be considered in lieu of formal education requirements if approved by corporate finance. Experience with automated accounting systems and computer proficiency desired. Valid driver’s license in the state of Florida with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.