Category: Food Services
Division: Job Corps
Location: Edison Job Corps Center (Edison, New Jersey)
- Establish quantity of food to be prepared according to the menu and the number of students; coordinate amounts with cooks and cook helpers.
- Instruct and supervise cooks, cook helpers and student interns in the safe, hygienic method of preparing appetizing, eye‑appealing meals.
- Ensure minimum waste through efficient storage, inventory and food utilization.
- Assist in preparation of daily schedule; assign specific duties to staff and students and monitor and report work performance.
- Coordinate the activities of the cooks and cook helpers in the preparation, efficient and timely arrangement, serving and cleanup of meals; and take charge of all food service functions on assigned shift in the absence of the manager, food services.
- Responsible for storeroom inventory and for requisitioning merchandise from the property department.
- Direct and assist in preparing food for special center functions, visitors and off‑center assignments.
- Maintain kitchen equipment in orderly, workable condition; ensure work area is safe, clean and sanitary at all times.
- Provide positive, quality customer services to students, staff and other center customers.
- Participate in student employability programs and activities.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Must have food preparation training and two years related experience. Must obtain servsafe certification within 90 days of employment. Experience with youth, excellent written and verbal communications skills and computer proficiency required. Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record, unless waived by management.
Hourly Wage: $16.75