Substance Abuse Counselor (TEAP Specialist)
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Division: Job Corps
Location: South Bronx Job Corps Center (Bronx, New York)
Reports to the manager, health & wellness. Responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of an effective trainee employee assistance program (TEAP) with emphasis on awareness, prevention, staff training, and networking with community resources.
- Review detailed background file, conduct personal interview and test as necessary to analyze and recommend a program for each assigned student.
- Maintain individual progress notes and medical chart.
- Provide continuous TEAP counseling on an individual and group basis; recommend necessary program modifications throughout each assigned student's stay.
- Conduct continuous interpretation and evaluation of progress in student's specific TEAP development program.
- Encourage awareness of substance use/abuse issues throughout the center.
- Coordinate the delivery of group educational, peer support and other prevention sessions for students.
- Provide ongoing comprehensive training for all students in the TEAP program.
- Provide counseling and/or personal development sessions regarding substance use/abuse.
- Work closely with center recreation staff members to develop improved recreation alternatives within the community.
- Assist in the evaluation of center services for students and recommend modifications for improvement.
- Participate in career development services system by providing TEAP services to students who have drug and alcohol problems and by providing support services to help prevent relapse behavior.
- Initiate and conduct individual and group counseling, evaluate student responses to sessions and recommend further action.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
Bachelor's degree and one year related experience. Must hold active, unrestricted, substance abuse license or certification. Excellent written and verbal communications skills and computer proficiency required. Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record, unless waived by management.