Recreation Aide Part-time
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Division: Job Corps
Location: Hartford Job Corps Center (Hartford, Connecticut)
Reports to the manager, community living & support or designee. Responsible for monitoring and directing students engaged in center‑sponsored recreational activities on‑ and off‑center in compliance with government and management directives.
- Assist the Recreation Supervisor in planning, implementing and coordinating a comprehensive and diversified program which will attract voluntary participation.
- Organize and supervise student participation in a variety of recreation activities.
- Conduct and coordinate recreation activities.
- Chaperone students to center recreation functions.
- Assist with monitoring of the student store.
- Operate and maintain DVD/video projection system and related equipment.
- Conduct activities for career preparation students that enhance student retention.
- Conduct activities with other departments on center to offer a variety of activities that meet the needs of all students.
- Conduct PE classes.
- Assist in the evaluation of DVD/video offerings through student input and personal evaluation and make recommendations as necessary.
- Participate in Career Development Services System by creating positive peer leadership and role modeling techniques through activities on and off center.
- Maintain a safe and clean work area that models high standards for a work environment.
- Provide positive, quality customer services to students, staff and other center customers.
- Participate in student employability programs and activities.
- Support, promote, and enforce the Job Corps’ Zero Tolerance Policy.
- Promote the development of Career Success Standards by modeling appropriate behaviors, mentoring students where necessary and monitoring both positive and negative behaviors through interventions.
- Maintain accountability of students and property; adhere to safety practices.
- Cultivate and maintain a climate on center which is free of harassment, intimidation and disrespect to provide a safe place for staff and students to work and learn.
- It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:High school diploma or equivalent and one year recreation experience or verified voluntary experience. Experience with youth, excellent written and verbal communications skills and computer proficiency required. Prefer candidates with valid commercial driver’s license with an acceptable driving record or ability to obtain commercial license within 120 days of employment.