Licensed Vocational Nurse
Since 2005, MTC Medical has provided quality medical, dental and mental-health services to men and women in our care. It has made a big difference in the lives of those individuals who are working hard to turn over a new leaf.
MTC Medical provides nearly 15,000 men and women at 10 facilities with prompt, professional, quality health and dental care. MTC’s certified doctors and high-level nurses provide excellent care and promote healthy lifestyles.
Location: Willacy Co Detention (Medical) (Raymondville, Texas)
Responsible for providing nursing care and assistance for ill and/or injured persons. All decisions should be reviewed with the nursing director with the exception of routine duties assigned to the nurse (LVN) in compliance with Management and Training Corporation (MTC) and United States Marshal Services (USMS) directives.
Essential functions include:
- Under the direction of health services administrator, supervising nurse and professional service providers and in accordance with the approved treatment protocol, assess the condition of and prescribe treatment for detainees reporting to sick call.
- Assist with provider line; prepare examining room and equipment.
- Operate pill call, administer medication and document as required by applicable policies and procedures. To include push and/or wheel pill cart on facility campus.
- Control medication, syringes and other medical supplies or equipment as required.
- Perform emergency procedures as needed and call physician for treatment orders.
- Keep equipment and work area clean; utilize appropriate sanitation methods.
- Practice basic cost containment and utilization management for detainee care and facility operations.
- Maintain absolute security and confidentiality of all medical records. Observe applicable HIPAA rules.
- Closely monitor all potential catastrophic illnesses.
- Comply with all applicable pharmacy laws, especially those covering controlled substances.
- Perform work on an on-call basis, as required.
- Provide health counseling and health education on an individual or group basis, as required.
- Prepare and maintain narrative, statistical, summary and operational records, reports, and logs.
- Review and process all reports and documents in a timely manner.
- Conduct chart review; review status of detainees with serious health problems for completion of all necessary intervention and treatment.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings; promote communications and proper flow of relevant information in the medical unit.
- Prepare and disseminate safety and accident reports as required by policies and procedures; take appropriate action in cases of serious and unusual incidents and emergencies.
- Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include administering basic emergency medical aid, physically removing people away from dangerous situations, and securing and evacuating people form confined areas.
- Properly chart medical care.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Assist corporate counsel with responses to detainee lawsuits.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when appropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, detainees and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required and six (6) months related experience. Graduate of an accredited Licensed Vocational Nursing program. Must possess current, valid vocational nursing license for the state of Texas. Valid driver's license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Management & Training Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled