Substance Abuse Counselor II (LCDC only)
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Location: Hutchins State Jail (Dallas, Texas)
- Provide instruction to the offenders for the DWI program.
- Interviews, screens, and evaluates offenders for potential program participation.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include workload statistics; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- Possess good communication skills and have demonstrated instructional ability.
- Use a variety of teaching strategies.
- Administer and evaluate pre and post-test instruments.
- Assists in planning chemical dependency counseling programs; and coordinates the delivery of counseling services to offenders with histories of chemical use, abuse, or addiction.
- Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of offenders.
- Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
- Provides counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include statistical feedback on evaluations; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender’s level of participation and quality of completion in programs.
- Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
- Supervises the work of others; and assists in instructing others in program methods, procedures, and functions.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning experience in substance abuse treatment or substance abuse education. Current valid license as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Required successful completion of the Texas DWI Education In-Service Training Program approved by DSHS and qualified to be a Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory (SASSI) administrator. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
MTC’s caring philosophy defines its commitment to providing its employees and family members with quality and competitive benefit options that address health and wellness needs. We understand and accept our responsibility to deliver the information and tools necessary to allow each employee to make informed decisions on health, wellness, financial security, retirement, and many other benefits.
MTC offers a variety of benefits to assist employees in balancing their personal and professional lives, such as:
- Medical, vision, and prescription drug benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employee assistance program
- Sick leave and vacation (or PTO, varies by location)
- Bereavement leave
- Civic duty and military leave
- Travel insurance
- Education assistance
In addition to the benefits listed above, MTC also provides its employees with its BIONIC (Believe it or Not I Care) Wellness Program. This free program features a wide range of tools, resources, and communication to address employee wellness from a mental, emotional, and physical perspective. Key components of the program include:
- Access to a comprehensive wellness website, including a personal health assessment, exercise and nutrition planners, and online education and courses.
- Personal health coaching to help improve nutrition, exercise, stress management, and other health and wellness topics.
- Tobacco cessation program that includes telephonic coaching, nicotine replacement therapy, and additional educational material.
- Newsletters, video features, and other communications to address employee health and wellness.
San Antonio, Texas