Substance Abuse Counselor Intern-American Sign Language Interpreter
Category: Social Development & Counseling
Location: East Texas Treatment Facility (Henderson, Texas)
Reports to the senior substance abuse counselor. Performs moderately complex substance abuse counseling work within the Correctional DWI Recovery Program. Work involves planning, coordinating and implementing substance abuse counseling activites; and coordinating with other departments to ensure the maximum utilzation of resources avaialbe for chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Provides substance abuse counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Interviews, screens, and evaluates offenders for potential program participation.
- Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of DWI/SAFPF/ISF offenders.
- Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include workload statistics; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- Provides liaison to participants of training programs, workshops, and seminars.
- Implements follow-up and after care plans for offenders that participate in the program prior to their release; and disseminates information on community resources for offender placement in follow-up treatment.
- At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender’s level of participation and quality of completion in the DWI/SAFPF/ISF programs.
- Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
- Serves as the program American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Must have a letter of registration as a Counselor Intern or a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) license from the Texas Department of State Health Services or current certification as a Certified Criminal Justice Professional Applicant Status (CCJP-A) as approved by the Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals. Selected applicants must obtain the Licensed Clinical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) license or the Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP) certification within 5 years from the date of their registration as a Counselor Intern or CCJP-A. Must sign a Credential Contingency Agreement that will remain in effect only until the initially established expiration date. Failure to comply with this contingency statement will result in separation from employment. Credential Contingency Agreements will not be extended or renewed as a result of an employee's separation from employment or acceptance of another position. Must maintain valid Counselor Intern status, Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) license or CCJP-A certification for continued employment in position. American Sign Language Interpreter must also hold and maintain a current level III certification issued by the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters. Valid driver's license in the State of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, both of which must be approved by Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
“MANAGEMENT & TRAINING CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - MINORITY/FEMALE/DISABILITY/VETERAN”
San Antonio, Texas