Substance Abuse Counselor (TEAP Specialist)
Division: Job Corps
Location: St. Louis Job Corp Center (St. Louis, Missouri)
Reports to the wellness manager. Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of an effective trainee employee assistance program (TEAP) with emphasis placed on awareness, prevention, staff training and networking with community resources, in compliance with government and management directives.
- Assist in developing procedures to coordinate and integrate TEAP components with other center programs, policies and zero tolerance.
- Participate in career preparation period; communicate zero tolerance policies related to substance abuse; provide information on prevention activities on and off center.
- Work with new students for testing, assessment and development of assistance and retention plans during the 45 day probation period; provide an assessment and assistance/intervention plan for any student who tests positive for drugs or receives an alcohol incident.
- Conduct TEAP classes, group educational, peer support and other prevention sessions for students.
- Review and audit all assigned areas regularly for contractual compliance and effectiveness of delivery of services to student. Prepare related reports.
- Assess students with identified substance use problems; develop and implement a plan to modify or control the problems by working with students, counselors, instructors and the mental health consultant.
- Provide input to the counseling, health and wellness and human resources departments for necessary referral of students with TEAP problems; utilize community resources as available.
- Work with mental health consultants, health and wellness staff and counselors to intervene with substance users who meet the treatment criteria to remain in Job Corps.
- Review and interpret drug test results.
- Ensure the documentation of all student assessments and that plans are in student’s medical records regarding TEAP problems.
- Provide ongoing comprehensive training for all staff members with specific goals toward staff education and awareness, staff skills in identification and reporting substance use problems, individual staff member counseling skills and general team building throughout the center.
- Assist in providing TEAP related materials and information in the health education program and development of health and wellness symptom guidelines and standard operating procedures regarding substance abuse.
- Coordinate tobacco use prevention program.
- Develop linkages with community resources for TEAP services.
- Maintain a safe and clean work area that models high standards for a work environment.
- Provide positive, quality customer services to students, staff and other center customers.
- Participate in student employability programs and activities.
- Support, promote, and enforce the Job Corps’ Zero Tolerance Policy.
- Promote the development of Career Success Standards by modeling appropriate behaviors, mentoring students where necessary and monitoring both positive and negative behaviors through interventions.
- Maintain accountability of students and property; adhere to safety practices.
- Cultivate and maintain a climate on center which is free of harassment, intimidation and disrespect to provide a safe place for staff and students to work and learn.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Must have active, unrestricted substance abuse license or certification that meets the minimum state licensing or certification requirements to practice in the state. Experience working with youth, excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer proficiency also required. Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record, unless waived by management.