Security Threat Group/ PREA Sergeant
Location: East Texas Treatment Facility (Henderson, Texas)
Reports to the designated lieutenant. Directly supervises assigned correctional officers. Responsible for the investigative work, identification and validation gang members, and conducts offender investigations. Provide instruction to staff on report writing, crime scene and evidence preservation, gang identification, monitoring of potentially disruptive offenders, and the narcotic prevention program in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees.
- Coordinate with staff on the receipt and analysis of gang information.
- Monitor detainee files for investigative purposes.
- Compile and analyze data to prepare reports and maintain related records.
- Respond to emergencies and institution disturbances.
- Supervise and conduct in-depth investigations of incidents which involve criminal activity within the facility. Establish rapport with federal, state, and local law enforcement.
- Identify narcotics and narcotic paraphernalia.
- Utilize proper search procedures to persons and property when checking for contraband items.
- Assess and evaluate the facility’s security requirements; make appropriate recommendations for improvements or modification to the warden.
- Oversee, gather evidence and testimony, establish case history of incidents and prepare comprehensive, timely, and efficient manner.
- Provide for care, custody and adherence to rules and regulations of offenders assigned to specific work area.
- Supervise and provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders assigned to work duty which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
- Supervise and direct searches for contraband including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform such functions.
- Transfer and transport offenders by walking or riding in vehicles. Restrain and secure assaultive offenders as needed.
- Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records which is related to the offenders’ health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
- Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: housing unit, special housing area, education, community service and intake.
- Respond to emergencies to search for offenders, administer first aid at the emergency site, carry an injured or unconscious offender, and perform use of force procedures, including the use of chemical agents to control offenders.
- Comply with policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent. Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning correctional custody or law enforcement experience. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements to include physical agility testing and pass an annual background check, which must be approved by TDCJ.